US Passport / Visa Photo Requirements
To get your US passport renewed in no time, it is vital to meet the photo standards set by the government in every aspect. Follow and review these simple steps and you will get your photo right each time.
To save time and money, check out online with us to decide whether you need a visa to visit the USA. It can help you process your ESTA USA applications online, at the comfort of your home.
Photo requirements for adults and children:
- Correct size of picture: 2 X 2 inches (51 X 51 mm)
- Color: The photo should be colored. Black and white photos are not acceptable.
- Position of your head: Position the photo in a way that your head is between 1- 1 3/8 (25-35mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Recentness: The photo should be taken in the last 6 months. Photos older than 6 months are not acceptable.
- Backdrop and settings: The background should be plain white or off white.
- Facial Expression: Preferably have a neutral expression on the face. Alternatively, you can put up a sweet natural smile while getting clicked.
- Eyes: Your both eyes should be open.
- Spectacles If you wear spectacles, take them off for getting the picture done.
- Note: If you cannot take off glasses due to medical reasons. Include a statement signed by your doctor along with your application.
- Attire: Please note that you cannot wear a uniform or camouflage clothing. A normal day clothing is to be worn.
Note: Please remove your mask for getting the picture done as the visibility of the face is of great importance. Maintain a distance of 6 feet from the photographer to prevent the spread of Covid-19. We encourage social distancing norms to be followed as you get yourself clicked.
- Headdresses: No hats or any other sort of headgears are allowed to be worn unless it is for religious purposes.
- You are required to submit a signed statement verifying that the clothing is a part of your religious attire.
- In case, a headdress is worn for medical purposes, a statement signed by the doctor must be submitted.
- The headcover should not cover your hairline or cast a shadow on your face.
- Quantity requirements per application: 1 photo are required per person.
Some additional guidelines, rules, and requirements for United States passport photo and Visa photo:
Follow the below-mentioned specifications while getting a professional passport or visa photo
- It is vital to have the perfect lighting setup. Both overexposed and underexposed pictures are dismissed by the authorities.
- As mentioned above, the photograph should be of recent times. If a picture is older than half a year, retake a snap.
- Make sure that your photograph aligns with the given measurement. Your nose should be at the center of the picture.
- Do not wear any bulky scarf or any clothing around the neck which may reduce the visibility of your face.
- While taking the picture, you are allowed to wear a hearing aid if you wear it daily. However, devices such as earphones/ headphones or any other similar device are to be taken off before getting clicked.
- The picture should be of high-resolution quality. Avoid grainy and blur pictures. The pixel dimensions should be in accordance with the above-mentioned specification.
If you plan to scan an existing picture here are some things that are to be taken care of:
- The photo is to be printed on a gloss or matte quality paper.
- Ensure that the paper on which the picture is printed is fresh. It should not have any hole, creases or smudges. A picture printed on a paper with holes or creases can be rejected.
- Avoid selfies. Such photographs are not acceptable as the positioning of the head in selfies is often wrong and they do not align with the specified size in most cases.
- Photos should not be changed, altered, or enhanced digitally.
- The government offers some free tools which can be used to correct the photo before applying.
Circumstances which require you to apply for a new passport and get a new picture:
If your appearance has significantly changed from what it is in the current one, then you may need to get your passport renewed. Below are some of the situations in which you may require a new passport:
- If you have undergone major facial surgery or trauma.
- Addition or removal of large tattoos or significant piercings.
- If you have gained or lost a significant amount of weight.
- Changed your sex.
Further, please note that change in appearance due to the normal aging process in case of children under 16 years of age do not count as major changes and need not apply for a new passport. On similar lines, if you grow beard or get your hair colored, it does not amount to major changes.
Photo Requirements in case of babies and infants:
Babies and infants are required to get their individual photographs clicked. Parents/ Legal guardians cannot be present in the picture. Here are a few tips to get their picture right:
- Lay them on a plain white bed sheet to get a plain white background.
- If you plan to use a headrest, cover it with a white sheet.
- As the picture is being clicked, make sure that no shadow is cast upon his/her face especially when the photo is taken from above.
- Children should look into the camera with open eyes. Nevertheless, photograph of infants with closed eyes are acceptable.
Pricing and Cost involved:
The next major question that arises is from where to get the pictures clicked and get them right in the first go. You have a plethora of options to choose from. You can either get it done online or from a local nearby place. Traditionally, people go to the post office or a nearby drug store to get the snaps clicked. However, the traditional method falls on the higher side of costs and involves driving and waiting time. The approximate cost involved per person would be $10-$15 for two snaps.
Another alternative to get the pictures done is through online mode. This method is more convenient in comparison to the traditional one and would cost approximately $5 for two snaps. So, a family of four can get their pictures right in just about $20. Quite a deal in terms of money and even the time and energy involved.
In case of any further queries, please feel free to get in touch. We are here to help you at every step making your application processing experience delightful.